Saturday, March 10, 2007

AA1 (week 2) "Session Plan"






I am beginning to come to terms with how challenging Audio Arts is going to be for me this year. I listened intently to our teacher, Steve Fieldhouse, while he talked to us about his history as a "sound engineer". He has a very colourful history and worked at many studios big and small.

For this week our assignment was to create a session plan for the recording of a band of our choice. I had never heard of a session plan in my life so I naturally panicked.

Most of what Steve told us this lesson made no sense to me. I should've spoken up and asked questions, but I stayed silent instead. This, was a big mistake.

After the class a fellow classmate and I spent some time in Studio 5. This was my first time ever in a recording studio and I was more intrigued by the Electric Upright Piano than the recording software. Big mistake? I will soon find out. It was apparent that my fellow classmate knew much more about the software (and hardware) than I did. I asked questions, and he answered them to the best of his ability, which were much appreciated.

After 30 mins in Studio 5 I departed and met up with another fellow student. We discussed certain issues regarding the session plan. By the end of the discussion, my mind was much clearer on what I had to do.

I decided to make a session plan for the recordingof the Jazz cover band "Jazz It Up". I am the keyboardist.

The session plan is as follows:




No track sheet was needed in this case as all perfomance related information was recorded as partof the ProTools session file.

2 comments:

Sanad said...

Oh, mate.. you all have come up with a very cool short post for this week.
Mine is pretty too much! I don't know if I really have to say this much or not. But anyway, I think you could add more stuff to your session plan?
(mine is the same though, but I have this feeling that something is wrong!)
Check this fella as well: http://gotemu.blogspot.com/

Freddie said...

I was thinking my session plan blog was too long too.
As far as adding more stuff, since you've only used 11 tracks and also since it's jazz based, maybe add some tracks for some stereo like having two tracks for the keyboard and using some room mics for vocal and drum ambience.